I actually had a couple thoughts come up about this post and decided upon a more recent event. The names and places have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not so innocent. I moved to a new area, as an adult, and was having a really difficult time making friends. I tried getting a play group together with church ladies, didn't work. I tried offering my services to teach classes, no one came or was at all intersted. So {tada} I got a "calling" in my church to visit teach. I was really excited about this opportunity, because this is how I made my very best friends at the last place I lived. I couldn't get ahold of my partner {oh no!} #1 possibility of friendship: failed. OK I can do this, I visited my ladies on my own. The first gal, after I spent an hour talking to her and trying really hard, said *I really don't need visiting teachers, please don't come back again*. Wow #2 possibility of friendship: failed. I still had one more lady to visit teach. She was so sweet, we talked WAY too long. We had big things in common {we were both early pregnant like due a couple weeks apart}. This all seems to be going in the right direction. Then just to be clear I said something about really needing friends this woman, who moments before I believed would be my new very best friend, said, *so & so down the street seems to be looking for friends and then commented on how busy she is these days*. This one hurt, #3 possibility of friendship: failed. But have no fear, it can go the other way, I have visiting teachers coming to visit me, they may be my new very best friends. {this may be the worst offense of them all} These ladies come and visit, I'm way excited to talk with new people, get to know them, have them get to know me, have a fun grown-up conversation, life is looking up. They arrive at my house, sit on my couch, and don't talk with me. They continue their conversation, that I have absolutely no farmiliarity with the topic. I even try to interject some random comments to help them realize that they're here to visit with me, with no avail. But FINALLY the conversation gets around to saying hello to me and asking somthing about me. Unfortunately I apparently I offended one of them, her face got all screwed up and then ornery {really all I said was something about not liking aerobics but the class I taught was more like a dance class} and it was all over. The lesson was quickly administered and they left with no passing thought of introducing friendship to the visiting teaching message. Honestly I cried, with #4 & #5 possibility of friendship: failed & failed; I was devistated. I was a stay at home mom, with no outside friends, no grown-up conversations to have {atleast before 5 or 6 pm when my hubby got home}, no one to help me through the day, no one that I could help through the day, no one to call and borrow milk or eggs from, no one... this lasted 2 years. All I wanted, every single day, was to move back to my loving friends who cared about me, who knew me, and who loved me. It took even more devistation in my life to finally bring some friends to me. What a trying and difficult time in my life.
Monday, January 17, 2011
30 days of truth {day 7 & 8}
someone who has made your life worth living...
This was a very easy post. My two boys, Monkey {right} and Bob-a-loo {left}. They are my whole and entire world! Being their mother has made me the person I am today. I have learned so much from these boys, about myself and about life. They have helped me realize my own self-worth. They have also *helped* me develope patience, and have accepted apologies when my patience was not quite there yet.
I actually had a couple thoughts come up about this post and decided upon a more recent event. The names and places have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not so innocent. I moved to a new area, as an adult, and was having a really difficult time making friends. I tried getting a play group together with church ladies, didn't work. I tried offering my services to teach classes, no one came or was at all intersted. So {tada} I got a "calling" in my church to visit teach. I was really excited about this opportunity, because this is how I made my very best friends at the last place I lived. I couldn't get ahold of my partner {oh no!} #1 possibility of friendship: failed. OK I can do this, I visited my ladies on my own. The first gal, after I spent an hour talking to her and trying really hard, said *I really don't need visiting teachers, please don't come back again*. Wow #2 possibility of friendship: failed. I still had one more lady to visit teach. She was so sweet, we talked WAY too long. We had big things in common {we were both early pregnant like due a couple weeks apart}. This all seems to be going in the right direction. Then just to be clear I said something about really needing friends this woman, who moments before I believed would be my new very best friend, said, *so & so down the street seems to be looking for friends and then commented on how busy she is these days*. This one hurt, #3 possibility of friendship: failed. But have no fear, it can go the other way, I have visiting teachers coming to visit me, they may be my new very best friends. {this may be the worst offense of them all} These ladies come and visit, I'm way excited to talk with new people, get to know them, have them get to know me, have a fun grown-up conversation, life is looking up. They arrive at my house, sit on my couch, and don't talk with me. They continue their conversation, that I have absolutely no farmiliarity with the topic. I even try to interject some random comments to help them realize that they're here to visit with me, with no avail. But FINALLY the conversation gets around to saying hello to me and asking somthing about me. Unfortunately I apparently I offended one of them, her face got all screwed up and then ornery {really all I said was something about not liking aerobics but the class I taught was more like a dance class} and it was all over. The lesson was quickly administered and they left with no passing thought of introducing friendship to the visiting teaching message. Honestly I cried, with #4 & #5 possibility of friendship: failed & failed; I was devistated. I was a stay at home mom, with no outside friends, no grown-up conversations to have {atleast before 5 or 6 pm when my hubby got home}, no one to help me through the day, no one that I could help through the day, no one to call and borrow milk or eggs from, no one... this lasted 2 years. All I wanted, every single day, was to move back to my loving friends who cared about me, who knew me, and who loved me. It took even more devistation in my life to finally bring some friends to me. What a trying and difficult time in my life.
I actually had a couple thoughts come up about this post and decided upon a more recent event. The names and places have been changed to protect the innocent, and the not so innocent. I moved to a new area, as an adult, and was having a really difficult time making friends. I tried getting a play group together with church ladies, didn't work. I tried offering my services to teach classes, no one came or was at all intersted. So {tada} I got a "calling" in my church to visit teach. I was really excited about this opportunity, because this is how I made my very best friends at the last place I lived. I couldn't get ahold of my partner {oh no!} #1 possibility of friendship: failed. OK I can do this, I visited my ladies on my own. The first gal, after I spent an hour talking to her and trying really hard, said *I really don't need visiting teachers, please don't come back again*. Wow #2 possibility of friendship: failed. I still had one more lady to visit teach. She was so sweet, we talked WAY too long. We had big things in common {we were both early pregnant like due a couple weeks apart}. This all seems to be going in the right direction. Then just to be clear I said something about really needing friends this woman, who moments before I believed would be my new very best friend, said, *so & so down the street seems to be looking for friends and then commented on how busy she is these days*. This one hurt, #3 possibility of friendship: failed. But have no fear, it can go the other way, I have visiting teachers coming to visit me, they may be my new very best friends. {this may be the worst offense of them all} These ladies come and visit, I'm way excited to talk with new people, get to know them, have them get to know me, have a fun grown-up conversation, life is looking up. They arrive at my house, sit on my couch, and don't talk with me. They continue their conversation, that I have absolutely no farmiliarity with the topic. I even try to interject some random comments to help them realize that they're here to visit with me, with no avail. But FINALLY the conversation gets around to saying hello to me and asking somthing about me. Unfortunately I apparently I offended one of them, her face got all screwed up and then ornery {really all I said was something about not liking aerobics but the class I taught was more like a dance class} and it was all over. The lesson was quickly administered and they left with no passing thought of introducing friendship to the visiting teaching message. Honestly I cried, with #4 & #5 possibility of friendship: failed & failed; I was devistated. I was a stay at home mom, with no outside friends, no grown-up conversations to have {atleast before 5 or 6 pm when my hubby got home}, no one to help me through the day, no one that I could help through the day, no one to call and borrow milk or eggs from, no one... this lasted 2 years. All I wanted, every single day, was to move back to my loving friends who cared about me, who knew me, and who loved me. It took even more devistation in my life to finally bring some friends to me. What a trying and difficult time in my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Boys 2009
aren't these boys adorable!
Big Boy!
He's 4 years old!
3 comments:
So sad! Unfortunately visiting teaching isn't always what it is supposed to be, is it? I've lived lots of places and it's amazing how differently we have been welcomed (and not welcomed)!
Oh Melissa, this breaks my heart! We love you!
Thanks Mary, I sure miss you!
Post a Comment