a book you read that changed your views on something...
At first thought I wanted to say *twilight* because now I know there are vampires that sparkle in the light! hehehe And because I just loved those books, yes I am a teenager at heart... or atleast it took me back to those days and I've gotten all nostalgic and everything about it.
But seriously.
I thought of a couple books I have read recently, the alchemist by paulo coelho {seriously an AWESOME book, very insightful, and inspiring} and bel canto by ann patchett {also awesome and beautiful and confusing but in a good way}.
Run by Ann Patchett is the book I want to discuss. It's a novel about adoption, racism, rich and poor, white and black, love, sacrafice, public service, politics, heart ache, death, disapointment, expectations, self destruction and a girl who can run all occuring within a 24-hour time frame.
I live in a suburb of Salt Lake City, Utah, there is very little diversity here. There are also very little financial segregation (or racial segregation) that I see here. SO it was very eye opening and insightful when we meet 2 boys who are black, adopted by a wealthy influentail political white family. Raised with love, but still feel the sting of racism, even if only from a distance. Then we meet a little black girl, single parent family, scarry neighborhood, street smart, but still good and kind, so smart but can't get a break to get into a good school. Just the stark opposite of the lives of these children is mind blowing and harsh.
I have lived in poverty, in a sigle parent home, where we were lucky to make ends meet {and it got worse for my younger siblings after I went to college}. But even with those obsticles, I was not faced with racism and segregation {even if it's not *legal* anymore}. I don't see *it* everyday, I don't have to deal with *it* in my day to day life, but that reality still exists for so many people.
Some people are just in tough situations, whether because of education {or lack thereof}, disabilities, or crisis; whether on their own accord, or because of someone else. Despite their situation some people are loving, kind, and caring. Others are bitter, angry, and vengeful. Whether we chose to *act* or *react* to our situation will show the character of our spirit. Do we chose to help those in a *tough situation* or to just look the other way? And how can we help? We do not have to dispense of our monitary gain as if our *good fortune* is a punishment. We all have a role to play, a hand to lend, a shoulder to cry on, a foot rest for the weary. I have felt the uplift in my spirit by a passing smile, an opened door, or a warm hug.
Maybe I live in the *white sea* of Utah, that doesn't mean I can't make a difference in the lives of those around me. If nothing else I can take a stand politically to support my leaders to make choices that really do make a difference. If you knew me, you'd know politics isn't my passion or even comfort zone. But I am learning, as I grow up {ok so it's taken me awhile} that if I don't take a stand for my beliefs, whether they be with or against the majority, then I am failing as a citizen of this great country. My right to cast my vote has been brought to me by the blood, sweat, and tears of those before me, especially as a woman. How long have we, as women, had this right to vote? How many of you, like me, take that right for granted and don't learn enough to even make an informed vote? I pledge that I will take action, learn, listen, understand, and cast my vote according to my beliefs and education. I will no longer sit by and let others make decisions for me, I will take a stand, I will do my part. Because if I don't then who will!?!
1 comment:
I just added those Ann Pachett books to my reading list. Sounds so interesting!
Post a Comment